Vince Neil revealed Friday that he had been recruited to perform at Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C. on January 20th. However, hours later, the Mötley Crüe singer announced that he had been “uninvited” from the event.
As Neil told Billboard, Trump’s people approached the singer about his availability “months ago,” soon after he declined an invitation to attend the third presidential debate in Neil’s now-native Las Vegas.
“The promoters asked if I was available, and I said yes,” Neil said of the invitation. “So we sent all of the band’s passports to the Secret Service so everybody can get in, and all of the crew people, not knowing who was winning. But we were already scheduled to play.”
A representative for Neil did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
However, speaking to TMZ, Neil said that Trump’s unexpected win changed everything, and while he was initially asked to perform at the inauguration, those plans have since been altered. “I don’t know who’s playing the inauguration, but god bless ’em,” Neil said.
Neil, who recently pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault on a female autograph seeker, said he would perform at the inauguration ceremony with his own band and not Mötley Crüe, he said. (Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx, a self-proclaimed liberal, tweeted after Trump’s election, “If Trump wins can we morally grab woman by their pussys when we greet them??”)
The unique gig’s set list was also still up for debate. “I don’t know how long I have to play. I don’t know if the Republican Party says which [songs] to play and what not to do,” Neil said. “It’s a little ways out. I’ll have more information as time goes on.”
Neil, ironically, is also taking part in the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, although he’ll be trying to impress new boss Arnold Schwarzenegger and not Trump.